Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Eating Healthy at Panera Bread

Panera Bread began in 1981. As of December 31, 2013, there are 1,777 bakery-cafes in 45 states and in Ontario Canada. Each provides fresh all-natural, preservative-free bread baked daily in Stone Deck ovens on hot stone slabs.

Whether you are counting calories, fat, protein, carbs, cholesterol or sugar, Panera Bread will customize your meal with fresh, high-quality foods including antibiotic-free chicken, whole grain bread, select organic and all-natural ingredients, a vast array of beverages (frozen, cold and hot), soufflés, breakfast and panini sandwiches, hand-tossed salads, pastas, soups, Power Meals, Panera Kids items with a choice of squeezable organic yogurt, apple or baguette, and catering. If you have allergies, ask to talk to the manager for a list of ingredients.

Upon my arrival at the Rockford, Illinois, Panera Bread at 9:30 A.M., I was happily greeted by a lovely cashier, Breanna, who informed me about healthy breakfast and panini options, calories, carbohydrates and how I could customize my meal. I ordered a Tomato & Mozzarella Panini, Mediterranean Egg White on Ciabatta, blueberry muffin, Acai Berry iced tea, and a Power Chicken Hummus Bowl to sample with my husband. I did not inform her that I eat at Panera Bread often.
Power Chicken Hummus Bowl
Power Chicken Hummus Bowl

While I was waiting for my food, I overheard a nice lady excited about ordering the Grilled Mediterranean Egg White on Ciabatta Breakfast Sandwich. (Breakfast is available until 10:30 A.M.). I approached the woman and we began conversing. She drives about 31 minutes in traffic just to get this sandwich. Now that’s a big fan! The sandwich includes egg whites, Vermont white cheddar, roasted tomato, fresh spinach and basil pesto on ciabatta with 410 calories.

The Power Bowls were launched off-menu in 2013. All contain fewer than 400 calories and are an excellent source of protein and complex carbohydrates. My favorite is the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl, with antibiotic-free chicken with cilantro, jalapeno hummus, fresh baby spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions, finished with freshly squeezed lemon and fresh, chopped cilantro. If you are not a fan of cilantro, Panera Bread will be happy to eliminate this herb for you.

Panera Bread is proud to announce a new arrival on May 7, 2014: the Egg-White, Avocado and Spinach Breakfast Power Sandwich on a Sprouted Grain Bagel Flat. Now that is a mouthful! I absolutely am a fan of avocado and sprouted grain bread so I can’t wait to indulge in this sandwich. While you are at it, try the Tomato & Mozzarella Panini with fresh mozzarella, roasted and fresh tomatoes, chopped basil and all natural-sun-dried tomato pesto in ciabatta with only 370 calories. It tastes like summer and is delicious!

I would like to thank Amanda Burns for answering all my questions about Panera Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment