Saturday, March 22, 2014

Better U Challenge #4 Cooking Class


Wednesday, January 29th, the ladies of the challenge met at the Mulford RHPH clinic in the lower lever for our cooking class. Emily had an array of foods set out on a banquet size table ready for us to go to work. We were given three, heart healthy recipes to prepare as a group, edamame hummus, salmon fillets with pineapple salsa and cheese and rice stuffed peppers.

Channel 23, WIFR Anchor Woman, Whitney Martin and her cameraman were there ready to shoot. Whitney was even asked by Emilie to wash her hands right along with the rest of the group. Janet Mitchell and Jacqueline Webb diligently chopped onions, garlic, green and red peppers and other items for the meals.

It wasn’t long before we heard, “I cut myself. Do you have any Band-Aids”?  Janet had the first injury of the night; luckily it was at a clinic. Ouch!

I was supposed to be tending to the endamame which needed to boil for three minutes but got a bit distracted. I heard that horrible noise of water boiling over the edge of the pan onto the burner. Not only did I hear it but Whitney headed in my direction. I quickly picked the pan up from the heat to let the water settle before she reached me. Whew!

Jeanne Rowell continued cutting pita to make baked pita chips for the hummus. The first person to sample the hummus from the ladies was Dena Hobbs. She sure has made us all feel comfortable on this journey.  

A group photo was taken with Whitney Martin, Emilie Fielder, Dena Hobbs and four of the ladies. Camera shots were taken of water pouring over the dirty dishes, the prepared hummus, my hand retrieving the hummus from the oven without a potholder and using an apron, and a short interview with Jeanne.

Emilie asked the group which of her sessions was our favorite. Jacqueline said the cooking session and eating the wonderful spread of healthy food. Jeanne commented she would have to go with the session talking about menopause with Lucy Martin, NP since it is affecting her at the present.

I announced that the first session made the most impact on my journey. All of us met with everyone involved on a one-to-one basis. Emilie and I discussed my health issues and what I should eat for inflammation. To my demise I was to eat fish about five to six days a week and chicken the remainder. Did you read this paragraph? No beef, pork, lamb, buffalo, etc. Okay, I also have gout often and we discussed this issue too. Since I have given up the ah….the forbidden meats, I have not had the horrific episodes of gout. Thank you, Emilie!

I grew up with the river behind my house and fished about five times a week. I ate more fish and chicken than anyone I knew. I began to hate both. Did I mention I also cleaned the fish, ate frog legs and turtle? But if I look back on the situation, I was thin then. Hmm…until another session.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment