Thursday, March 20, 2014

Better U Health Journey and Cooking to Live


In October 2013, I was chosen to participate in the Rockford Health System, Rockford, Illinois and The American Heart Association Better U Challenge. There were many who applied. I felt like I had won the lottery and Biggest Loser spot all in one! At my first meeting, I met many caring and thoughtful RHS health staff members and women from the American Heart Association along with the other four lovely women chosen to participate. After the initial consultations, I learned about some new concerning health issues I needed to address. Of course I already knew I needed to lose 100 pounds.
The speakers were very informative about women’s health issues and went above and beyond the scheduled talks. I enjoyed my twelve-week journey with four other amazing women and lost 21 pounds while doing it. We will continue to have private monthly meetings and share our journey.
This blog will be about health issues, cooking, recipes, great health sites, losing weight and more. I am currently the author of two mysteries, Fatal Catch and Leave No Trace. I am also the author of History Lover’s Cookbook which has been a top 100 paid Best Seller most of 2013-14. I hope to have my cookbook, Smokin’ Good Eats out early summer and Cooking to Live, my journey to losing 100 pounds. This means I won’t be eating out much but cooking healthy instead. I will discuss how to eat out without hampering your healthy eating lifestyle. No box mixes included.
This doesn’t mean I have a quick fix for anyone out there wishing to lose weight. This means that we all should try and keep updated on things like GMO’s, to drink wine or not drink wine, take vitamins or discard the thought. You get the picture. It seems the medical society likes to keep us on our toes. We are soon to have an easier nutritional chart on packages. What a relief, I don’t need to bring a magnifying glass shopping.
I am not sticking to a gluten-free diet, kidney diet, sugar-free diet, or any other fad diet. I am going to count my calories and eat what is healthy for me. I do believe less sugar is better. No I don't drink pop or soda as some call it. I don't smoke and most of the time don't drink alcohol. I do consume coffee which is supposed to be good for you on most days until a new study comes out. I alternate with drinking green tea.
I prefer Truvia and honey for my sugar  substitute but have been known to make a few recipes with agave. Do I indulge in some strange foods? Glad you asked! Yes, some of the healthy ingredients I try are not commonly used. Say for instance, honey powder, Maca powder, etc. I do believe that flaxseed is great and I love the use of turmeric.
Did you know you shouldn't cook at a high temperature with extra-virgin olive oil? Use coconut oil for medium-high or high heat instead. There are many benefits from the use of coconut oil, including helping reducing Alzheimer's symptoms in some people. Which I have a high family history of having died from. Some believe coconut oil can cause your cholesterol levels to rise so beware and ask your doctor. That is one health issue I do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment