Saturday, March 22, 2014

Better U Challenge #6 Go Red Luncheon at Giovanni's


First, I want to thank Kristin Kuborn and her lovely sister, for all their wonderful makeovers for the five of us women. When I arrived at Galleria Salon, Kristin greeted me as if I were a princess. We took a before and after photo and what a difference! I was a new woman.

The first words out of my mouth were, “Anything but red”! Ha…that didn’t last long. I showed Kristin a photo of me with red hair last fall. She said when she first saw my original beginning photo, she thought of me as a redhead.

Pondering over becoming red again against my husband’s dislike didn’t take me long. I said, “This is a “Go Red” event, why not! My hair was a success and I had many a compliment. On another note, my husband doesn’t look at me and hates it.

Upon arriving at Giovanni’s Restaurant for the Speak Red Luncheon, we were greeted by a wonderful group of women, one of which was Sue Schreiber, VP, Rockford Health System. During the entire event, she did everything possible to make us feel comfortable. Might I add, all the women looked wonderful.

The room was decorated with red balloons, beautiful bouquets at all the tables, gift bags on the tables for all of us women and our guests. Then we were pinned with a beautiful rose corsage. But that wasn’t all; we were presented with a bouquet of flowers. Mine lasted for a week and the corsage is in the refrigerator still as beautiful as the day I received it.

Our lunch consisted of a beautifully presented dark green salad with dried cherries, nuts and vinaigrette. We were served mashed potatoes and chicken and the dessert was absolutely delicious. I didn’t look at the rolls and butter. The coffee really rounded off the meal for me.

Anchor woman, Whitney Martin, was beautiful, sweet and welcoming as usual. She always tries her best to make us feel comfortable. The five of us women went up on stage and three were asked a few questions. Jeannie was speechless which was unusual for her. We later had group photos with Whitney.

The pre-luncheon auction consisted of an autographed Chicago Bulls pennant, wine-tasting package for 12, VIP Coronado Theatre tickets, and many more. Janet was the big winner from our group on the auction front.

I would like to thank Kimberly Kuborn, 2014 Chairperson, AHA, Shondra McLarty, Corporate Events Director, AHA, and Bob Guirl, this year’s passion survivor speaker of UTC Aerospace Systems for all they accomplished, shared and presented.

The group of us five women lost over 75 pounds, improved our cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure and other areas. We couldn’t have done this without all of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I signed up to volunteer for the American Heart Association and have heard rumors the five of us women might be asked to help with the incoming group next year. I look forward to seeing each of you next year, Dena Hobbs, Lisa Osborn, Sue Schrieber, Sallie Vandaele, Emilie Fielder and all the guest speakers. Stay in touch. I also want to continue following the progress of the other four ladies, Janet, Jacqueline, Martha and Janet. 

On another note, Whitney Martin has expressed interest in walking with us in the Northern Illinois Heart Walk on Saturday, May 3, Rock Valley College. This is a free event but you are encouraged to raise $100. I volunteered to help with this event, if anyone wants to contact me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment